Friday, October 24, 2008

Assignment 7

1.How smart is your child, and in what areas? Think back to the blurb on multiple intelligences that appeared at age 6. Find specific evidence regarding your child's verbal, logical-mathematical, spatial, musical and bodily-kinesthetic intelligence from your observations of your own child as well as the psychologist's report at age 8 years, 11 months.

Just a quick recap on Sky’s scores from age 6 are as follows she shows strengths in reading, writing, speaking, listening, social studies, and science.  Sky is average in math and problem solving, but lacking in spatial and number concepts.  At the age of 8 Sky is doing excellent in vocabulary, Sky is below average in math and for some reason doesn’t have much of an interest in it other than multiplication tables, Sky is still lacking in spatial and I have know idea how to fix that, Sky has recently become excited about music and began playing the flute, and Sky is still very outgoing and active in sports such as cheerleading but we are starting to notice that Sky is more into the social aspect of the sport rather than the athleticism. 

 2. Describe some examples of your child's behavior or thinking that you think are due to typical American gender role socialization and explain why you think so. Several examples can be found at ages 6 and 8. How closely does your attitude toward gender roles correspond to typical American attitudes, and if there is a discrepancy, to what do you attribute this (e.g., cultural background, attitudes of your own parents, etc.)?

 First of all I think it is important to explain my thoughts on “typical American gender roles”.  I was raised with a very open minded way of thinking.  My parents always promoted that it didn’t matter if you were a man or a women as long as you could do the job as well as the person standing next to you.  I very much believe in this theory however I am a strong believer that it is wrong to hire a person just to fill a quota, for example hire a man as a nurse because you don’t have too many male nurses, or hire a women to be a firefighter because you don’t have enough female employee’s.  If you can do the job then so be it, now when it comes to Sky one example that pops in my head that run along the typical gender roles is, Sky is a cheerleader and as far back as I can remember only women were cheerleaders.  Sky also plays the flute which to me screams feminine.  I thinks Sky does these two things because she feels most accepted by these activities due to gender role socialization.  When you thin cheerleader the first thing that pops in my head is cute popular girls, not buff men.  When I think of the flute I think of a soothing sound which I associate with being a female artist.  One role that Sky has taken that is a little masculine is playing sports with boys and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that either.  I believe whatever makes your child happy is the best thing for them.

 3. How might your child's development have been different if s/he was raised by people with a different socioeconomic, ethnic or cultural background? Base your answer on specific evidence of SES/cultural differences from the textbook and class lectures.

 My child’s development would have been way different for example, in German cultures the infants show considerably more avoidant attachment due to the fact that German parents encourage independence and don’t want there kids to be clingy.  That too me sounds insane, I want to be there all the time for my child and want to give my child the sense of trust and the ability to rely on me as the parent.  I know with Sky, she sometimes gets moody when I don’t show her enough attention and she relies on me a lot when she needs help.  If she was brought up in a German culture she would be much different in the above categories.  Another example is Tribal and Village culture, in this culture kids are taught little to know schooling and primarily focus on adult work and conversation.  For one Sky can’t even take care of the chores she is given at home so I think there is obviously a big difference there, another huge difference in her development would have been her education.  Right now Sky is in 3rd grade and she is already reading at a 5th and 6th grade level.  If she had been brought up in a culture where school was not considered a priority, her development would be like night and day.  I believe those are a few drastic examples of how Sky’s development would be different if she was raised by another culture.

No comments: