Saturday, November 15, 2008

Assignment 11

1. Think about your teen’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses and how they are reflected in his or her school grades and activities from 14-16 years of age. What careers or courses of study might be best suited to your teen’s abilities and interests?
Sky’s cognitive strengths are definitely in reading, writing, and creation of stories on paper. Sky’s cognitive weaknesses are still algebra which is of know surprise, it seems like know matter what I try she still receives a C in math. Career choice number one that I think would compliment Sky is journalism, she has always excelled in reading and writing and seems to enjoy that subject. I also think Sky would do very well in a science major, I am not too sure though because she seems to go through stages of dislike and liking of the topic.

2. How important have your teen’s relationships with peers been to his/her social development, emotional well-being and school achievement from 14-16 years of age?
Sky’s friends have definitely had a huge impact on her, some of her friends are of good influences and some of her friends have a negative influence on her. Sky is involved in many AP classes and leadership roles in school, a lot of her friends share the same achievements with there academic desires, which is a great influence on her because she shares the same interest. Sky’s emotional well being is typical because, she can still be a tad moody but nothing that needs any reprimanding. I am extremely proud of Sky’s academic achievements, she did well on her PSAT, she holds honor roll status, leadership roles, and is beginning her search for a college of her choice. The only issue that I am concerned about is her new boyfriend and some of her new friend choices.

3. How has your teen adjusted at 14-16 years of age to typical adolescent issues such as risk-taking, drugs, alcohol, and sexual interests, and how have you responded to your teen?
Well it seems as if the teenage years are finally here, Sky has gotten into a little bit of trouble as of lately and it has been a learning process for the both of us. Sky was recently at a party and tried some marijuana, she admitted her mistake to me and I gave her a get out of jail free card. With that in mind I had a talk with Sky about her future and the risk of drug use, however a little while later, Sky called me from a party to come pick her up and when she got in the car she smelled of alcohol. Once again I gave her a get out of jail free card and explained my appreciation for her maturity in the matter of calling me and not driving drunk. The following day I had another talk with Sky about these issues and explained the risks of what her actions have led too. If Sky decides to make any more pore decisions she is going to be shocked with the consequences, I believe in giving people second chances and understanding that Sky is a teenager and she is going to make mistakes but, if she continues her actions then she probably wont think that I am that cool of a dad anymore. Last but not least Sky has a new boyfriend and we are unsure of whether or not she is having sex with him, my ex partner took the role of talking to Sky about waiting to have sex, and also covered the important facts of using a condom and simple protection. I really hope that Sky will make an appropriate decision and choose to hold off on sexual activity until she is married.

No comments: